Social media management is the process of managing a brand’s or a company’s social media accounts. It goes beyond posting sporadically here and there but is a deeply involving job that requires posting relevant material often, engaging with your followers or audience and finding new opportunities for your business by keenly analyzing the feedback.
The reason social media management is crucial is that in the past ten years or so, social media has evolved to become one of the main marketing channels. A company with no social media presence loses up to 32% of revenue according to statistics.
Most companies, having realized the benefits of social media have hired a social media manager. A social media manager has four main roles:
Raise the awareness of a brand and enhance its online reputation.
Search Engine Optimization (SEO).
Manage online content across the all the major platforms.
Analyze online feedback and use it to cultivate sales and leads.
For a small to medium-sized company that cannot afford a social media manager yet, it is important to note the above four roles. The SME can then begin researching and doing some of the tasks in a bid to start building the company’s social media profile.
Why Build a Company’s Social Media Profile?
First, and probably the most important is that potential clients will trust your company more if you have an online presence. Trust is the basis of all successful relationships, and unless a customer trusts you, then he/she will not buy what you are selling.
Next, a social media profile is a great marketing tool. Facebook, which is just one platform, has over 2 billion active users. Social media allow you to reach large customer base.
Finally, social media allows for an incredible amount of feedback. Feedback is the basis of continually improving a product.
Now that you have an idea of why a social media profile is essential to let us analyze the benefits of social media management.
Benefits of Social Media Management
Social media management ensures the posting of quality content which, in turn, gains you a large audience for your product.
You can have meaningful interaction with existing customers and potential customers. The benefit of interaction is that customers understand your product more and they will probably market you further by word of mouth.
You can solve issues fast in case of an error as clients often reach out via social media.
Possible global growth since social media is not geographically limited.
As you take the important step of committing to social media management, it is crucial to have an idea of the top five social media platforms:
- Facebook: As mentioned earlier, the platform has over 2 billion active users.
- Instagram: Instagram has over 800 million active users and a reported 500 million daily active users. The platform is perfect for businesses with a lot of visual content, such as, a clothing or shoe company.
- Twitter: Twitter is a platform known for news and trends. Perfect for brands that would benefit from being part of trending conversations. The platform has around 328 million users.
- LinkedIn: LinkedIn has positioned itself as the platform for B2B companies that are targeting businesses in various industries.
- YouTube: YouTube is the second largest search engine after Google. Video content to help a customer base understand a product better is ideal.
- Pinterest: Pinterest is perfect for sharing image related content. A company whose product or service lends nicely to imagery can benefit from this platform.